Getting Started

Home » Topics » QuantTrader Forum » Getting Started
Getting Started 2017-03-03T15:29:27+00:00
  • Author
    Keymaster

How to install, launch, log-in, find your way

• John Lawson
    Participant

I just signed up for QuantTrader. The only file I can open on my MacBook is the help file in PDF. I don’t see any instructions for downloading, opening and starting the other files. Please advise.

• Vangelis

Hello John,
      You should receive a welcoming email with the download link as well as your username. Please contact us for further help.

• mitch
    Participant

In the most recent blog post, Frank discusses the changes to the bond hedge in many of the strategies. I agree that adding TIP’s and rotating bond sectors as a hedge makes very good sense.

Are you making the updated strategies available in quanttrader? If so, can you please update the quanttrader download page.

Also, my current version 301S, does not allow me to build strategies with 5% allocations. I have to set the allocation to a minimum of 10% else the program crashes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• John McGuire
    Participant

I purchased quant trader tool about 30 minutes ago, trying to log-in using my user-name and password for 1st time and am not able to log-in. Even after resetting my password.

Please advise.

Thank you!

• Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

Hi John, thanks for your interest. Looking into it and will come back in some minutes.

• aw
    Participant

With the QuantTrader Software, do I still need a signal subscription or are the signals easily accessible in the tool?

• Vangelis

The Quanttrader subscription is all you need. It includes the All-Strategy subscription so you will have access to all signals online and via email.

• jmadill
    Participant

Quick question to the team: if I were to subscribe to a sample portfolio (say the MaxCAGR Vol<7% portfolio discussed in Richard’s recent article), how many trades (buy/sell) on average would I need to execute in a given year? Just trying to estimate the commission fees I’d run up. Any rough estimate would be helpful.

Thanks for the very interesting products,
    Jamie

• Alexander Horn
      Keymaster

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your interest! Depends a bit on your account size, for example if running less than $50k I would drop the smaller allocations to some strategies (let´s day the 1-5% ones) and rebalance only if deviation to target allocation gets bigger than 5% precisely to reduce trading costs. As is I would guess about 120 transactions a year, but you can reduce it probably to half without impacting performance too much.

Use the Max CAGR Vol < 7% as template and built your own portfolio with the strategies you feel you can handle. Either in the online tool, or optimize your own mix with the Excel tool (on a rainy weekend).Also pick a good low cost broker with the tools you need. Interactive Brokers for example (and we´re really not affiliated!) has a rebalance tool where you see current % allocations by instrument, and then simply update these % allocations to the target (when needed due to allocation differences >5%). The tool will then create orders translated to shares.

This is what I mostly do, keeps cost down and speeds rebalancing up to 15-30 minutes.

• Gordon Cooper
    Participant

Hi Alex-

I just subscribed to a QT trial a few minutes ago and downloaded QuantTrader311S.zip from the Updates page on the QT forum. When unzipped I ended up with two files: QuantTrader311S.exe and QuantTrader.ini.

So I downloaded a small group of symbols and started the Strategy Backtester. It works fine, but none of the LI strategies are populated into the Portfolio pull down window of the Strategy Backtester or listed in the Portfolio Manager tool. Also there were no pre-loaded symbols.

I’m guessing I’m missing a file or two.

Thanks,

Gordon

• Gordon Cooper
    Participant

PROBLEM SOLVED

I figured out the problem- When I extracted the .zip files, I changed the default location and extracted them to a folder within “program files”. But when I extracted to the default “downloads” folder, all is good.

• Lanemc
    Participant

Good morning, just getting started with Quanttrader and have a question. Looking at the #NASDAQ 100 hedged portfolio, it appears to take the Nasdaq 100 Meta strategy and combine it with a hedge. I noticed that if I run the 100 hedged it selects 4 stocks, AAPL, MU NVDA amd SYMC. However, the current positions in the NASDAQ 100 Meta are NVDA, MU STX and WDC.

Not sure this real critical but it is a confusion factor for me. comments?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • Alexander Horn
      Keymaster

You will find two Nasdaq strategies, the simple one corresponds to the signals we publish, the hedged one you mention is an extra for QT subscribers.

• Frank Grossmann

I think you reference to the “current allocation” window. This is in fact the allocation as calculated for the last available close. The one we publish is the allocation calculated with the last months close. The calculated allocations can change within the month, but it does not make sense to follow these changes in your portfolio. Rebalancing once per month gives better results.

• Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

A recently added feature which is very handy, but probably we´ve not highlighted enough is the option to pull intraday prices into QT.

Why is this handy? Because it allows you to execute your rebalancing at-close with “fresh” intraday strategy signals.

For example tomorrow, March 31st, 2017, you can refresh intraday prices at 2pm EST, and comfortably execute before close of the markets – and relax over the weekend, while we cut signals for our non-QT subscribers.

Here a short instruction:
    1) Open QuantTrader
    2) Reload the Historical Data
    3) Verify the intraday prices in the “Show Stock Data” window of the Trader window.
    4) If you like, compare to Yahoo Finance prices.

Your strategy signals now consider the last intraday prices.

Warm and cozy feeling – powered by Logical Invest!

All the best,
    Alex

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • ben123789
    Participant

Hi All, I’m new to LI and haven’t had the chance to review the QuantTrader software yet. I’m wondering if that software can give a more up to date signals for all the quant strategies provided here? Other than the prices and the corresponding quantities, I was told that the signals provided on the online consolidated tool are updated only once or twice a month but I’d like to find a more real time signal if possible. Thanks.

EDIT: it seems that my question might’ve already been addressed by the posting above this one.

• Petr Trauške
    Participant

Hello Alex,
    where can I set leverage in Quant Trader? Usually I am trading with leverage 1:2. I am using your strategies and I am creating multistrategies from them. Have I to set it for each ETF individually or it is a way to set leverage for all strategies?

Best regards

Petr

• Alexander Horn
      Keymaster

Hi Petr,

there is no direct way to set leverage in QT. Easiest is to upscale the allocations outside QT before doing your rebalancing.

For example, if you´re using strategy A with 60%, B with 80% and C with 60% (total 200%), then you´d use 30%, 40% and 30% in QuantTrader (or let QT decide dynamic allocations), and double the allocations at ETF level before rebalancing.

Reply To: Getting Started

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: