- 01/14/2020 at 9:22 pm #77384
When MYRS is a sub strategy it rebalances twice per month therefore you need to know how many shares of each symbol you need to buy and sell. It gets more complicated if other strategies are using the same symbols.
Here is what I do but if you have a better more efficient way let me know.
1st of month MYRS TMF 0 UGLD 60 ZIV 40 and contributes 20% of total NAV
15th of month MYRS TMF 0 UGLD 40 ZIV 60
1. Multiple NAV by % MYRS contributes to the overall mega strategy
2. Enter that value in Allocation tool using MYRS Strategy
3. Set allocation tool to 1st trading day of month and calculate the shares contributed by MYRS for all Symbols
4. Set Allocation tool to 15th of month and calculate shares for all symbols.
5. The difference between step 3 and 4 is the shares you buy or sell for each Symbol that are only contributed by MYRS.
I just use Excel to calculate the following formula.
Shares for the Symbol 1st of the month – Shares for the Symbol 15th of the month = Shares to buy or sell for each Symbol
Obviously the NAV at the 15th is not the same as the NAV at th 1st of the month but it should not make a big difference.
MV01/14/2020 at 9:29 pm #77385
Correction to the steps you already own symbols from MYRS therefore the steps are:
1. Multiple NAV by % MYRS contributes the overall mega strategy
2. Enter that value in Allocation tool using MYRS
3. Set Allocaiton tool to 15th of month and calculate shares for all symbols.
4. The difference between what you already own (1st of the Month) and step 3 is the shares you buy or sell for each Symbol that are only contributed by MYRS.01/15/2020 at 2:16 pm #77412
Hoping for an easier way but I just realized that you can only use the shares you own at the 1st of the month when no other strategy uses MYRS symbols (UGLD, ZIV and TMF).
Using the first method and the allocation tool to calculate MYRS at the 1st of the month and then on the 15th is the only way when 2 or more strategies require you to buy and sell (UGLD, ZIV and TMF).
MV01/15/2020 at 2:35 pm #77413Patrick @ Logical-InvestKeymaster
Technically, you should only rebalance the MYRS portion of your portfolio mid-month, but that is complicated because the MYRS allocation on the 15th will not be the same as your target allocation on the 1st. This method should be “correct”, although not particularly easy:
1. On the 1st of the month, capture the share quantities attributed to MYRS by setting other strategies to 0% in the Allocation Tool.
2. On the 15th, use the quantities from step 1 with current prices to calculate the current value of MYRS.
3. Use MYRS value from step 2 as the “Investment Value” with MYRS allocated 100% to get current share quantities.
4. Find the differences between step 1 and step 3 to determine new buys and sells.
5. Rinse and repeat. :)
Investing is not an exact science, so a close approximation should be fine.01/17/2020 at 12:42 pm #77460
Just did it this month worked fine took a couple of minutes.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.