Experienced investors: Investment Portfolios

Home Forums Logical Invest Forum Experienced investors: Investment Portfolios

This topic contains 90 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  R D HATHCOCK 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

Harvey,

we generally do not recommend using our strategies with options, and therefore do not provide details guidance for it. Main reason is the additional complexity in running backtests with option chains, which would be needed to verify the results.

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

Supal,

the World Top 4 Strategy is now included in both online and offline Portfolio Builder, see here

We decided not to include it in the beta signal consolidation sheet, as it would add another 40 ETF to the already long list. We´re still working on a better consolidating mechanism.

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

Hi Tapan,

sorry for the delay in my response. We decided not to include the World Top 4 Strategy in the beta signal consolidation sheet, as it would add another 40 ETF to the already long list, and make the sheet bearly workable. We´re still working on a better consolidating mechanism and will come back soon.

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

Hi Sentient,

thanks for the excellent post and detailed questions, which I answer on bold below:

THESIS: The post-crisis rally in U.S. equities has run far and long, and we should expect lower returns for the next several years. In addition, it is difficult to imagine that bond yields will continue to decline during this period.

–> We choose bonds as “crash correction” not because of their current absolute pricing or performance, but we expect them to be the safe heaven of choice in any major market turmoil – independent on how they are priced immediately before. In this sense, we do not bet on pricing before or after a rate hike.

QUESTION: Which strategies might be expected to perform best in this type of expected market conditions?

–> We have noticed this year that the bull market has flattened out in 2015, and major markets are going sideways – while stress signals come from commodities and some overseas equity markets. Hard to predict where this will go, therefore we just do not try to predict, but remain invested in a broad portfolio of strategies.

I list below the strategies that I prefer given the thesis above, but am very interested to hear the opinions of others.

MYRS: In a sideways or slowly grinding market, the VIX futures should remain in a state of contango and we can still capitalize on the monthly roll yield.

–> Yes, but you can see the contango to go down since 2011, e.g. performance boost from inverted volatility being reduced recently.

Top 4 World: If the U.S. Stock market under-performs over the next few years, perhaps it will pass the baton to some other country or countries.

Global Market Rotation: Similar argument as Top 4 World strategy.

Global Sector Rotation: In any sideways market, one can usually find individual sectors that out-perform.

–> On the three above: Yes, our effort is to make different investment options available that should work in any market environment. Choosing a broad portfolio of strategies using our Portfolio Builder should provide the best setup for stable results with reduced volatility.

As you raised some rather broad and deep questions, I would be very interestes to see comments from other followers also. If needed let’s open a different forum topic on this.

All the best,
    Alex

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

Richard, thanks for the excellent suggestion, will add it to our list for developments.

Richard
    Participant

Hi,

Any update on the “Infamous Gold Version”? Looking forward to it!

Thanks.

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

Richard, sorry for the delay, but we’ve not been able to get to a stable version yet – but continue the development.

Richard
    Participant

Hello Alex,

I am still interested in seeing the NASDAQ 100 Meta included in the “Portfolio Builder”.

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

We´ll include the newly launched US Sector Rotation Strategy in both the online and offline version towards the end of June.

chichucha123
    Participant

Hi, I see Alexander that you said in a comment (years ago, heh!):

“Using the SPY-TLT signals and then executing with SPXL-TMF leads to inferior performance compared to running the signals directly for SPXL-TMF. This comes from the roll-loss of the leveraged ETF, where the daily leverage leads to tracking errors compared with the underlying ETF.”

I guess that shorting -3x would give better results than going long using directly the 3x UIS strategy. I’d like to use the strategy that performs better, so: Should I short the SPXS & TMV using the SPY-TLT signals from the UIS strategy, or should I short SPXS & TMV using the SPXL-TMF signals from the 3x UIS strategy? Which approach would give the better results?

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

The best is to use our QuantTrader app, there we have all three UIS strategies (simple long, 3x long, 3x short) and the signals vary among them as stated.

Download QuantTrader from here, then log-in with the web credentials.

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

We’re reopening this thread to improve the structure of the forum

R D HATHCOCK
    Participant

I belong to another service on Seeking Alpha and have recommended UIS 3x to other members; I sent them your link, etc. The service recommends 3x funds of all kinds on a weekly basis, and sometimes has long stocks like TECL/SOXL together with UGLD and/or TMF. But they are not managed in the hedge, max sharpe, fashion that LI does.

I use QT to determine the proper hedge.

Alexander Horn
    Keymaster

Thanks for the referral RD, very kind of you! We could certainly also do a more aggressive UIS picking individual sectors with leveraged ETF like TECL/SOXL, did you try already in QuantTrader?

R D HATHCOCK
    Participant

Yes, I have built them into QT, but I keep my models simple and don’t use the mean reversion/etc. that you guys use on SPXL. So, a strategy that you guys develop would be much better than mine. Since QQQ is used in your US market, you could also develop a TQQQ/Hedge.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.